Tim says, “This is a great way to dress up your purchase of the Country Casserole – and making these dumplings takes no time at all. Plus, once the job is done the whole show can be slung in the over to cook. A word of advice: make an even number of dumplings or you’ll find yourself in an argument over who gets the last one!”
- 1x pouch of The Country Food Trust Country Casserole (can be bought from The Really Wild Meat Company here)
- 125g self-raising wholemeal or white flour
- 75g butter
- Salt and pepper
- A good pinch of dried mixed herbs
- A drop of milk
- Place the contents of the casserole pouch into a small, ovenproof dish and add about 2 tablespoons of water
- Separately, rub the flour, herbs, seasoning and butter together to make a light bread crumb texture. Add a few drops of cold milk to the mix to make a light pastry dough.
- Quickly divide this into even spooonfuls and drop them into the casserole.
- Place the dish (complete with dumplings) into the oven. Bake at 180 degrees - until the casserole is bubbling and the dumplings become golden and puff up nicely.
- Serve with freshly steamed vegetables. If you’re feeling adventurous, add a little blue cheese to the dumpling mix..